The Washington State Board of Education (SBE) envisions an education system where students are engaged in personalized education pathways that prepare them for civic engagement, careers, postsecondary education, and lifelong learning. The strategic plan also lays out a set of goals and priorities to realize this vision.
The 2019-2023 Strategic Plan contains six goals for the State Board of Education:
- All students feel safe at school, and have the supports necessary to thrive.
- All students are able to engage in their schools and their broader communities, and feel invested in their learning pathways, which lead to their post-secondary aspirations.
- School and district structures and systems adapt to meet the evolving needs of the student population and community, as a whole. Students are prepared to adapt as needed and fully participate in the world beyond the classroom.
- Students successfully transition into, through, and out of the P–12 system.
- Students graduate from Washington State high schools ready for civic engagement, careers, post-secondary education, and lifelong learning.
- Equitable funding across the state to ensure that all students have the funding and opportunities they need, regardless of their geographical location or other needs.
The strategic plan serves as a foundation for Board actions and efforts for the period of 2019 through 2023. During this time period, progress will be measured on an annual basis using the indicators of system health. (View the one pager summary of the strategic plan and how it relates to the education system health.)
The strategic plan is intended to highlight not just initiatives led by the Board but also those of partner agencies and organizations that are working to improve our education system, advance equity, and respond to the needs of students and communities. The development of the plan relied on the work of the EOGOAC, ELOC, Career Connect Washington, OSPI, PESB, CISL, WSAC, WSSDA, DCYF, WTECB, and others. In addition, we received input through regional community forums, outreach at partner meetings, presentations to the State Board, and a public survey that reached 2,690 participants.
Background on the Development of the 2019-2023 Strategic Plan:
The Washington State Board of Education (SBE) began the strategic planning process in January 2018, building on prior work to shape key priorities, including the development to the Board’s Equity Statement of Intent. The Board conducted extensive outreach to gather information to support the development of the plan and the priorities. This included regional community forums, outreach at partner meetings, presentations to the State Board, and a public survey that reached 2,690 participants. Half of the survey participants identified as parents, while other affiliations included representatives of state agencies, community groups, students, educators, and school and college administrators. The Board drew on this feedback and developed a set of priorities during their September Retreat. A draft of the plan was available for comment in early October. The final report was approved by the Board on November 8, 2018.
2019 Board Meeting Dates, Locations, and Materials*
|Date||Meeting Place||City||Forum Registration|
|January 9, 2019 to January 10, 2019||DoubleTree||Olympia||N/A|
|March 13, 2019 to March 14, 2019||SPSCC Event Center||Lacey||https://conta.cc/2UseuJy|
|May 8, 2019 to May 9, 2019||Confluence Technology Center||Wenatchee||https://conta.cc/2EVouF9|
|July 10, 2019 to July 11, 2019||Cedarbrook Lodge||Seattle|
|September 10, 2019 to September 12, 2019||TBD||Yakima|
|November 6, 2019 to November 7, 2019||TBD||Bremerton|
*Please note: community forums are always the day before the Board meeting begins.