Mission and Vision
The Washington State Board of Education envisions an education system where students are engaged in personalized education pathways that prepare them for civic engagement, careers, postsecondary education, and lifelong learning.
The mission of the State Board of Education is to provide transparent leadership in K-12 education policy-making; effective oversight of schools serving Washington K-12 students; and, assertive advocacy for student personal growth and success. These three areas of responsibility will support a system that personalizes learning for each student and values diverse cultures, abilities, and learning styles.
The Washington State Board of Education centers educational equity as a guiding principle in fulfilling its statutory charge, strategic planning, and policymaking. The Board believes that the state’s school system exists to empower each student to develop the skills articulated in Washington’s Profile of a Graduate and ensure they are caring, contributing, and civically engaged community members. Our students will learn in inclusive environments where each student experiences belonging, thrives, and is on a path to reach their full potential. Read more. See SBE equity lens.
The 2019-2023 Strategic Plan contains six goals for the State Board of Education:
- All students feel safe at school, and have the supports necessary to thrive.
- All students are able to engage in their schools and their broader communities, and feel invested in their learning pathways, which lead to their post-secondary aspirations.
- School and district structures and systems adapt to meet the evolving needs of the student population and community, as a whole. Students are prepared to adapt as needed and fully participate in the world beyond the classroom.
- Students successfully transition into, through, and out of the P-12 system.
- Students graduate from Washington State high schools ready for civic engagement, careers, postsecondary education, and lifelong learning.
- Equitable funding across the state to ensure that all students have the funding and opportunities they need, regardless of their geographical location or other needs.