The state defined mastery-based learning (MBL) in E2SHB 1599 Sec. 301:
- Students advance upon demonstrated mastery of content;
- Competencies include explicit, measurable, transferable learning objectives that empower students;
- Assessments are meaningful and a positive learning experience for students;
- Students receive rapid, differentiated support based on their individual learning needs; and
- Learning outcomes emphasize competencies that include application and creation of knowledge along with the development of important skills and dispositions.
At its core, MBL is personalized learning. Under MBL, students advance upon mastery of content as measured by meaningful, authentic assessments tied to state learning standards. Students take ownership of their learning and receive differentiated support based on their interests and needs. This model of instruction, which honors students’ assets and cultural backgrounds, has been shown to help close opportunity and achievement gaps.