Private schools are required to submit reports each year to comply with Washington state law. Several reports are required by separate state agencies, including the Office of the Superintendent of Public Instruction. Schools will use the EDS system to access OSPI-required reports.
You will find information below concerning:
- Creating an Account in the EDS System
- Assigning User Roles in EDS
- How to Use the EDS System to Find Your School Building Code
The Head of School and any other personnel responsible for OSPI reporting should have an EDS account prior to requesting a user role (access to reports).
To set up an account, visit the main EDS page and the “create an account” tab.
Note that generic email addresses (such as email@example.com) are unacceptable due to EDS data security measures. You will need to use an address that is unique to the individual (such as JaneSmith@yourschool.org).
The Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction Customer Support assigns user roles to EDS accounts. Note that there is a review period prior to any roles being assigned.
Private school personnel who need access to EDS to complete a necessary report required by OSPI or to fulfill other needs, please have the Head of School email OSPI Customer Support with the following information:
- Name of person needing access
- EDS Username of person needing access
- Date of birth of person needing access
- Organization name
- Application(s) they need access to
Note that if there has been a change in school leadership since your previous year approval application was submitted, you must complete the online Private School Change of Information Form.
Forms are reviewed and processed twice each month, on or near the 1st and 15th, and State Board of Education records are updated at that time. Changes to your head of school or additional contacts will be reflected in OSPI's EDS system within a week of processing, while changes to your address may take longer.
While the EDS system is used to access OSPI reporting, you will need your unique building code to access the State Board of Education Enrollment Reporting form and the Annual Private School Approval application. If you have misplaced your building code, please use the EDS directory information to look up building codes to confirm your unique code for each campus.
- Log in to EDS as usual, then choose “Search Education Directory”
- Use the "Organization Category" dropdown box to select Private School.
- Use the "Organization Name" text field to enter the name of the school, then the result of that search will populate in the lower part of that page.
- On the left-hand side of the search results, you will see the name of the school followed by the school code in parentheses.