Three Parts to a Diploma
After last year's Legislative session, the High School Diploma in Washington contains three parts:
- The High School and Beyond Plan (that students begin in middle school is a blueprint for a student's long-term goals).
- Credit and subject-area requirements (students practice academic rigor and attend relevant courses that will prepare them for life after high school).
- Graduation pathway options (created in recent legislation, students can use any of the pathways outlined in law for graduation).
SBE and other partners have communicated about this in various ways. Please find a list of just some of the resources developed so far for schools and communities to help inform:
- SBE's new High School Diploma page
- Class of 2020 Graduation Requirements
- Graduation Pathway Options
- High School and Beyond Plan materials for families, educators, students (courtesy of Ready Washington)
Webinars and videos:
- OSPI, WSAC, SBE webinar message on HB 1599 and changes
- SBE webinar on Social Studies graduation requirements
- League of Education Voters webinar: New Graduation Pathways for the Class of 2020
- Background on HB1599 with AWSP and Dr. Michaela Miller (OSPI)
- Fact or Fiction: CTE Sequence from AWSP
SBE is currently developing more materials (translated versions) and brainstorming ways we can support school districts in communicating about this. If you have ideas for more ways we can help communicate about these requirements, please reach out to the SBE Communications Manager.