SBE Student Communicators
Calling all high school student storytellers, passionate social media users, writers, and creatives! The Washington State Board of Education (SBE) seeks a Washington State high school junior or senior interested in getting hands-on experience on SBE’s Communications and Outreach team. Download the flyer.
In partnership with the Association of Washington Student Leaders (AWSL), SBE student communicators get the opportunity to work with state government professionals, community organizations, and state-wide peers. Two positions are funded for 2023 at $25.00 per hour (5 hours per week, flexible schedule, virtual). The internship begins January 3, 2023.
Who we are
The Washington State Board of Education has 16 elected and appointed members including the Superintendent of Public Instruction, a representative for private schools, and two students. Some of our main areas of authority are graduation requirements, school recognition and accountability, making sure districts meet state requirements for what they offer, and more.
What you’ll do
Under the supervision of the Director of Communications, you will:
- aid in producing communications materials for your peers that can be easily shared
- meet with SBE staff and members to brainstorm and execute new communications and outreach strategies
- recap meetings and legislative information for your peers
- help create awareness about the Board and our work
Who we need
Student interns must:
- be a high school junior or senior
- are eligible to work in the United States
- live in Washington and attend a Washington State private or public school
- have access to Internet and a computer (these positions are remote)
Student interns should:
- be passionate about and have experience in storytelling (writing, journalism, marketing, videography, etc.)
- have a network of your peers that you can access for feedback or outreach on SBE issues
- be interested in government, education, public relations, and/or improving educational experiences for all students
Shoot your shot!
To apply to become an SBE student communicator, please submit your resume and cover letter to email@example.com by November 22. Please describe your experiences, passions, and how they align with this opportunity! Link to your social media platforms if you are comfortable. Feel free to submit videos, graphics, or anything else that might tell us you are a good fit.